Color Switch Wiki
All Contributors
WolfLord315
John Fanboy
3primetime3
• 10/2/2016

Talk Pages

When I asked about message walls to the staff members on the community discord chat, they said that when forums will be removed, the WHOLE thread system will also be removed, meaning that message walls will be taken away with it. I've decided that instead of waiting for that to happen, we should start using talk pages NOW to give users a sense of how wikitext and all of that stuff works.

What do you think? Please leave your opinions below.

Thanks!!

1 8
  • Upvote
  • Reply
WolfLord315
John Fanboy
3primetime3
0
• 10/2/2016

Nah i want the forums and the thread. I have seen a bunch of wikis using talk page and for me i don't like talk page much

0
• 10/2/2016
John Fanboy wrote:
Nah i want the forums and the thread.

I have seen a bunch of wikis using talk page and for me i don't like talk page much

Oh ok. I still think this would be a good experience though.

0
• 10/2/2016
Well i can enable message wall but i'll wait for everyone's opinions first
0
• 10/2/2016
John Fanboy wrote:
Well i can enable message wall but i'll wait for everyone's opinions first

Yeah, that's a good idea :)

0
• 10/3/2016

Message walls are the more ideal way to send others messages, though I see that the feature has already been disabled. As this feature has been out for a long time, it would not be right of Wikia to simply remove it without keeping an archive of some sort.

I personally think talk pages are really messy - you have to scroll through two different message walls for one conversation while message walls easily keep everything in place. If we really want to use talk pages, I would suggest taking a look at what Wikipedia uses (Template:Reply to) so everything can stay in one location.

0
• 10/3/2016
3primetime3 wrote:
Message walls are the more ideal way to send others messages, though I see that the feature has already been disabled. As this feature has been out for a long time, it would not be right of Wikia to simply remove it without keeping an archive of some sort.

I personally think talk pages are really messy - you have to scroll through two different message walls for one conversation while message walls easily keep everything in place. If we really want to use talk pages, I would suggest taking a look at what Wikipedia uses (Template:Reply to) so everything can stay in one location.

Yes, I completely agree with you, however, the only reason why I enabled talk pages was because I was told by community central admins and vstf that message walls were gonna get removed along with the forums, and getting prepared for that change would've been helpful.

Would it be okay to re-enable message walls or should we keep talk pages?

0
• 10/3/2016

Re-enable the message wall

0
• 10/3/2016
Might as well
Write a reply...